Office: 3106 Skinner Building
Nutrition & Food Science
0112 Skinner Building
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742-7521
Phone: 301 405-8421
Fax: 301 314-3313
Dr. Qin Wang
Nutrition & Food Science
- Ph.D. in Food Science/Food Engineering. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2004.
- M.S. in Environmental Chemistry. Nanjing University. 1997.
- B.S. in Environmental Chemistry. Nanjing University. 1992.
The research in Dr. Wang’s group focuses on design, characterization, and evaluation of natural polymers. Our research covers a broad scope of multidisciplinary areas including food science, materials science, nanotechnology, and biophysics.
There are three major directions we are pursuing:
- Development of molecular-level, nano-scale vesicles and structures for encapsulation of drug and bioactive compounds with applications in delivery system and regenerative medicine.
- Development of nanotechnology approaches for studying food science and engineering to better understand physicochemical properties of food components and their interactions.
- Development of nano-sensors for food safety evaluation.
- Padua GW, Wang Q. Controlled self-organization of zein nanostructures for encapsulation of food ingredients. In American Chemical Society. In press.
- Padua GW, Wang Q. 2002. Formation and Properties of Corn Zein Films and Coatings. In Protein-Based Films and Coatings, Ed. A. Gennadios, CRC Press, Florida pp 43-67.
- Wang Q, Yin L, Padua GW. 2008. Effect of Hydrophilic and Lipophilic Compounds on Zein Micro-Structures. Food Biophysics. 3:174-181.
- Wang Q, Xian W, Li S, Liu C and Padua GW. 2008. Topography and Biocompatibility of Patterned Hydrophilic/Hydrophobic Zein Layers. Acta Biomaterialia. 4:844-851.
- Wang Y, Wang Q, Artz WE, Padua GW. 2008. Fourier Transform Infrared Spectra of Drying Oils Treated by Irradiation. J. Agriculture and Food Chemistry. 56:3043-3048.
- Li S, Dellinger T, Wang Q, SzegediS, Liu C. 2007. Pneumatic Actuated Elastomeric Device for Nanoscale Surface Patterning. Applied Physics Letters. 91:023109.
- Wang Q, Wang Q, Wang X, Padua GW. 2006. Zein Dynamic Adsorption to Carboxylic and Alkyl Coated Surfaces. J. of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 54: 517-522.
- Wang Q, Padua GW. 2005. Properties of Zein Films Coated with Drying Oils. J. of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 53:3444-3448.
- Wang Q, Wang JF, Geil PH, Padua GW. 2004. Zein Adsorption to Hydrophilic and Hydrophobic Surfaces Investigated by Surface Plasmon Resonance. Biomacromolecules. 5:1356-1361.
- Wang Q, Geil PH, Padua GW. 2004. Role of Hydrophilic and Hydrophobic Interactions in Structure Development of Zein Films. J. of Polymers and the Environment. 12:197-202.
- Wang Q, Crofts AR, Padua GW. 2003. Protein-Lipid Interactions in Zein Films Investigated by Surface Plasmon Resonance. J. of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 51:7439-7444.
- Rakotonirainy AM, Wang Q, Padua GW. 2001. Behavior of Zein Films as Modified Atmosphere Packaging for Fresh Broccoli. J. of Food Science. 66(8):1108-1111.
- Sun H, Wang X, Wang Q, Wang H, Chen Y, Dai L, Cao M. 1999. The Effect of Chemical Species on Bioaccumulation of Rare Earth Elements in Rice Grown in Nutrient Solution. Toxicological and Environmental Chemistry. 69: 75-85.
- Sun H, Wang X, Wang Q, Wang L, Chen Y, Dai L, Li Z, Cao M. 1998. The Species of Spiked Rare Earth Elements in Sediment and Potential Bioavailability to Algae (Chlorella Vulgarize Beijerinck). Chemosphere. 36(2): 329-337.
- Sun H, Wang X, Wang Q, Wang H, Wang L, Chen Y, Dai L, Cao M. 1997. The Effect of Chemical Species on Bioaccumulation of Rare Earth Elements in Wheat Grown in Nutrient Solution. Chemosphere. 35(8): 1699-1707.
- Wang Q, Sun H, Wang X, Wang L. 1997. The Species of Spiked Rare Earth Element La and Its Bioavailability. In Chinese. Environmental Chemistry. 16(2):109.
- Wang Q, Sun H, Wang H, Wang X. 1997. Bioaccumulation of Two Speciations of Rare Earth Elements in Wheat Seedlings. In Chinese. J. of Nanjing University. 33(4):70.
- Wang Q, Sun H, Wang H, Wang X. 1997. Bioaccumulation of Two Speciations of Rare Earth Elements in Rice Seedlings. In Chinese. Environmental Science. 18(6):56.
- B.Zhang, Y.Lou, Q. Wang,"Effect of Acid and Base Treatments on Structural, Rheological, and Antioxidant Properties of Alpha-Zein" Food Chemistry, 2011, 124, 210-220.
- B.Zhang, Y.Lou, Q. Wang,"Development of Silver-Zein Composites as a Promising Antimicrobial Agent" Biomacromolecules, 2010, 11, 2366-2375.
- Y.Lou, B.Zhang, W.-H. Cheng, Q. Wang,"Preperation, Characterization and Evaluation of Selenite-Loaded Chitosan/TPP Nanoparticles with or without Zein Coating" Carbohydrate Polymers, 2010, 82, 942-951.
- W.Liu, Z.Xie, B.Zhang, Q. Wang, W.Yao, X.Gao, L.Yu,"Effects of Hydroxypropylation on the Functional Properties of Psyllium" J of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2010, 58, 1615-1621.
- W.Liu, B.Zhang, Q. Wang, X.Gao, W.Yao L.Yu,"Effects of Sulfation on the Physicochemical and Functional Properties of Psyllium" J of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2010, 58, 172-179.
- Z.Cheng, J.Blackford, Q. Wang, L.Yu,"Acid Treatment to Improve Psyllium Functionality" J of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2009, 1, 44-49.
NFSC Home Page